Friday, June 1, 2012

"Gaming the System: Redshirting in Kindergarten"/ The Daily Riff

"Gaming the System: Redshirting in Kindergarten"/ The Daily Riff

This article has brought to my attention a new term that I have not heard of, Redshirting.  I clicked on the article to see what it was about because I work with children at the kindergarten age level.  It does not surprise me that parents would hold children back to help academically but did not know if it was really effective.  The article discusses what redshirting is and if it helps those children out or does not really help those children.  It is definitely something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. This was an interesting article to me on both a professional and personal level. I have heard of redshirting in college (for athletes) of course, and I have talked about it with my own parents. (I had a "late" birthday...September...but I started kindergarten when I was almost five. A number of kids in my class with birthdays in September, October, and November started kindergarten when they were almost six.) I personally think it sometimes helps kids and sometimes does not. It really depends on the individual.

    ReplyDelete